#WhatDrivesYou: Fashion Director George Antonopoulos
August 13, 2014
For over 17 years, George Antonopoulos has pursued a career in fashion and has been a friend of FAULHABER’s. You may recognize his work from FASHION Magazine, Elle Canada, Flare, Lush, En Route and The Holt Renfrew book. He is constantly in demand for his forward point-of-view and his diverse range of clientele, working with Emily Blunt, Iman, Olivia Wilde, Shalom Harlow, Milla Jovovich, Jessica Stam, Andrej Pejic, Nicole Ritchie, Helena Christensen and Yasmin Warsame. He recently shot the cover of FASHION Magazine, featuring dark sweetheart Lana Del Rey, and we wanted to get the deets first!
1. We love your FASHION Magazine September cover shoot with the magnificent Lana Del Rey. Tell us about how you came up with the concept, incorporating the melodramatic Casa Loma themes into her looks.
Chris Nicholls and I came up with the concept together. We wanted an opulent and moody setting to shoot Lana in. In the back of our minds we were thinking "rock royalty.” The old world bedrooms in Casa Loma were perfect. It gave the shoot a sense of purpose and depth. Lana made it her castle!
2. What was your biggest highlight working with her?
The highlight of the shoot for me was when she wanted to wear my gold cross for some of the images. She was so down to earth, humble and relaxed!
3. Did you learn anything inspirational from her?
I love how dreamy and relaxed her music can be… The nostalgic visuals in her videos are brilliant, incorporating John Wayne, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis and more. She really brings back that Old School Hollywood vibe in a new fresh way and not kitschy at all. I’ve learned to appreciate the past more!
4. What is your favorite fashion trend at the moment?
Right now I feel that anything goes as long as you wear it with confidence! We live in a crazy time right now where everything can make sense!
5. What is your biggest career highlight to date?
Biggest highlight of my career was meeting Vivienne Westwood a few years ago and discussing climate change and the many other crazy problems going on with the planet! Surprisingly, we spoke nothing about fashion.
6. How do you stay ahead of the curve?
Research! I love the quote "study the greats and be greater!"
7. Do you have any tips for young creative directors/fashion editors breaking into the scene?
Know your stuff! It is very frustrating when I speak to new/young people entering the "fashion world" and they know nothing about all the great designers, photographers, directors and models that have paved the way for us!
8. Lastly, who is your dream dinner date and why?
I know this answer will be slightly cliché, but the ultimate dinner date would be to have sushi with Madonna and Michael Jackson. Madonna might still be a possibility!