Get your skin spring ready with Dermalogica's top 5 tips
March 30, 2012
Holly Sherrard, Education Manager at the International Dermal Institute
Spring is my favourite time of year – flowers are peeking through the ground, birds chirping become my morning alarm clock and best of all, the daylight hours are longer. Along with all the wonderful changes outdoors, many people “spring clean” their homes and we should use this philosophy on our skin as well.
Throughout the winter our skin is more dehydrated and sensitized. With warmer weather, we produce more oil and with more humidity our skin begins to normalize. We can achieve an optimal skin condition and leave it looking like a healthy new sprout from the ground with these five simple steps.
1. Double Cleanse. Morning and night. The first cleanse removes the surface dirt and the second cleanse actually cleans the skin. If you normally have an oily skin and use a gel-based cleanser in the winter, you may need to change to a clay cleanser for the spring and summer. If your skin lacks oil you may be using a creamy cleanser in the winter and may need to change to a gel cleanser for the new season.
2. Exfoliate. Dehydrated skin cells leave the skin looking dull and devitalized so remove them with a multi-functional exfoliant. MultiVitamin Thermafoliant has fine mineral powders like silica and sodium bicarbonate to buff away dead skin cells. The best part of this exfoliant is when water is added – it heats up to aid in penetration of active ingredients like White Tea, Lactic acid, Salicylic acid and Retinol. The skin is left feeling soft and smooth and ready to accept the active ingredients in the next step.
3. Masque. This is a highly under-utilized step and can make the difference between good skin and great skin. The newly formulated Skin Hydrating Masque contains soothing botanicals and antioxidant vitamins that restore critical moisture to stressed skin and feels amazing while on the skin and after it’s been removed. Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque, Faulhaber PR’s date night masque, has oat extracts which soothe stressed winter skin (think skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing in the cold elements) and Licorice, Panthenol, and Comfrey to further decrease sensitivity.
4. Moisturize. Spritz on toners start the hydration process and when the skin is hydrated, it accepts more active ingredients. No matter how much oil skin produces, everyone must wear a moisturizer. Oil-free mattifying moisturizers for oily skin, or creamier versions with Shea butter and Evening Primrose Oil for a dry skin.
5. Daylight protection. Canadians are known for coming out of the woodwork when the weather gets warmer – off with the scarves and hats, we bare our arms and legs, we exposed our toes and soak up every last UV ray we can…unprotected! We are so cold during the winter that we forget that the number one cause of premature aging is daylight. The easiest way to protect your skin is to use a 3-in-1 product like Sheer Tint Moisture SPF15. It’s hydration, a sheer colour wash and daylight protection all in one easy to apply formula.
Always remember that seasonal changes lead to different skin conditions so remember to seek professional advice on alteration of products to suit the seasons and your skin or try this unique tool that will put you on the road towards your healthiest skin ever.
For more about Dermalogica visit www.dermalogica.ca @DermalogicaCDN